My Life. My Loves. My Store.



Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Obstacles of DBMB

OK, so I just wrote a WHOLE blog about obstacles, and wouldn't you know, I hit a key on my laptop and it deleted the whole thing.  I cant freaking believe it! Anyway - lets try this again... 

Obstacles. 



 Websters dictionary defines an obstacle as, "Something that impedes progress or achievement." We all have obstacles in different aspects our lives, but sometimes they rear their ugly faces all at once, and it can be overwhelming.  That's the way this week has been for me - in more ways than one. This post, however, I will be sharing just DBMB obstacles I have faced recently.

Obstacles, when opening your own business, can be overwhelming.  You have to worry about every single aspect of the business you are trying to create, and it can be utterly exhausting.  Most of the time you have to do everything yourself, with your own money and time.  There can be a million things that stand in your way, but I'm going to share with you guys just a couple of mine.

#1. Indecisiveness

The biggest challenge I face in opening DBMB is the buying process.  I am, by nature, a very indecisive person.  This is not a great quality for a buyer! When buying merchandise you must be able to make good decisions, and stick with them.  I am still struggling with this.  I will look at a piece of jewelry and think, "wow this is amazing!" and then the next day, when I go to buy it I'll think, "wow..I wonder if anyone will buy this? Maybe I should look for something else."
 Opinions from friends and family help sometimes, but  most of the time it makes the process even more tedious.  Everyone has their own opinion, and likes and dislikes.  I've come to the conclusion that you cannot please everyone, and to be a good buyer you must keep your target market in mind at all times.  People are going to love some of my items, and they are going to hate some of my items, and I'm just going to have to deal with it. 

...which comes to another obstacle - myself!

#2. Perfectionism

I am a HUGE perfectionist, and it affects every aspect of my life.  Sure, being a perfectionist can be a great thing sometimes.  I'm productive, accountable, and organized.  But perfectionism can be toxic too.  A lot of times it leads to indecision, and obsession.  Nothing and no one is ever perfect, and I have to remind myself of this all the time. I am not perfect, I will never be perfect, and nobody else is perfect!  

#3. Money

I'm not going to lie, it takes some money to start up a business.  You have to buy your licenses, merchandise, websites, domain names, packaging..the list goes on and on.  Right now I am trying to figure out my budget for purchasing merchandise. How many types of necklaces should I have when I launch? This ring or that ring? How many of this design, and that design? Can I afford that?Am I going to be able to pay my bills after this?! (haha, just kidding...kinda.) I have had to keep a very tight budget through this whole process, and record every single expense.  THIS can be very scary and overwhelming.

#4. Confidence

It is imperative to have confidence in yourself and your product when  you start a business.  Most of the time this is not too much of a problem for me, but every once in a while I have that whisper in the back of my head asking me, "Mandi, what the heck do you think you are doing? You can't do this! What makes you think you can live your dream?! Your still that shy, bookwormish awkward girl you were in 7th grade. Give it up."  It's times like these I have to remember that girl, look at where I am now, and say to that voice, "I am NOT the same person.  I can do this, and I will. So screw you."
 And then I move on.
 I think everyone has times where they think they can't do something, and they loose their confidence for a little while.  It can be tough to overcome, but it can be done. 

Tomorrow I will post how I overcome some of these obstacles.  It can be very challenging, but I'm a work in progress, and so is Designs by Mandi Boutique.  So until tomorrow...

xoxo.


No comments:

Post a Comment