My Life. My Loves. My Store.



Monday, July 5, 2010

How to Keep Your Jewelry from Tarnishing

I don't know about you, but I hate it when my sterling silver or costume jewelry starts tarnishing. Here are a few good tips I found to make your jewelry last tarnish free!



1. If at all possible always store jewelry in plastic zip lock bags. Tarnishing happens when the metal interacts with oxygen. This is said to help a LOT.

2. Store jewelry with a piece of chalk. The chalk creates a chemical reaction with the metal and therefore prevents the metal from tarnishing.

3. Spray jewelry with clear spray paint.
( I have not done this, but I am going to try it. I'm a little skeptical but all the reviews I read about doing this were positive.) This is said to work just like the idea of coating your rings with clear nail polish, only it doesn't flake away.

4. Always take jewelry off when washing hands and showering. Also be careful around hairspray.


5. Do not expose jewelry to lotions, perfumes or creams.

I'm going to experiment with these ideas, and some information I have found on what to do with your jewelry once it has already tarnished, and will blog about it afterward.

I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend!

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the great tips... i don't have too many jewelery but i needed this for the few that i have...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love these useful imformations...many thanks. I usually use toothpaste to clean them...but I'll keep them in plastic bags from now on...

    Hope your week is going smoothly.

    Cheers: Evi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments ladies! You guys are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete